Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 whole onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, depending on your preference
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 1 whole pepper, or 2-3 small sweet peppers.
- 1 tablespoon of garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Chop the onion and garlic cloves and place them in a pan, alongside a small amount of your oil of choice (I cannot get enough of sesame seed oil, but whatever you prefer will be just as good!)
- Cook these until they begin to caramelise, then add to the mix your chickpeas and your chopped-up pepper, alongside the garam masala and the cumin.
- Add the chilli powder, which will give your mixture a spicy kick, as well as the tomato puree and a small amount of water.
- Stir all the ingredients together, and simmer until the chickpeas are cooked, and the mixture has thickened to the consistency of spread.
- Once cooked, you can now add the chopped coriander and brown sugar to the mixture, and stir it in. It’s now time to plate up!
- For the filling, ‘butter’ one side of the bread with a simple guacamole made from avocado and lemon juice, and then add on the heavenly masala filling.
- Take the sandwich and place it into a frying pan, and gently heat it up as you toast both sides of the bread for that added crunch. Serve with a host of fresh greens and salad, then enjoy!