‘I wouldn’t be a true northerner without a pie recipe or two, would I?’
Serves: 4 – 6
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes
- Two tubs of portabello mushrooms
- One onion
- One small leek
- Three cloves of garlic (chopped or mashed)
- Half a swede
- One tablespoon of sage
- One tablespoon of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One cup of vegan gravy
- A glass of wine
- A cup of frozen vegetables
- One packet of vegan shortcrust pastry
- Firstly, prep all the vegetables by chopping them into similar sized chunks.
- Next, add the onion to a pan with a little bit of oil, cooking for a few minutes until translucent, then adding the rest of the vegetables and cooking down for about 10 minutes (adding a little water if needed).
- Now add the herbs and garlic and resume cooking for about 2-5 minutes.
- Then, add the gravy, wine, and frozen vegetables and simmer on low for another 20 minutes.
- While the filling is simmering, roll out the shortcrust pastry and line a pie tin with it.
- After the pie filling has cooked and been set aside to cool, add it to the lined tin.
- Finish the pie off by adding some pastry to top off it, pricking it, and then glazing with vegan milk.
- Then, cook on gas mark 4 for around 20 – 30 minutes.
- Finally, serve and enjoy your comforting vegan grub!
- You can 100 percent add more wine to this recipe if that’s your thing!
- If mushrooms are not to your taste, you can swap them out for some par-boiled potatoes.
- The salt and pepper, as with all my recipes, needs to be added throughout the cooking process and to taste; never be ashamed to shove a teaspoon in your cooking and taste half way through – cook’s perks!