'Because breakfast should always taste a bit like cake’
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 3 cups of oats
- 3 – 4 cups of water
- 3 reasonable sized carrots
- 1 large apple
- 3 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 3 tablespoons of sultanas
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- A little bit of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed (optional)
- Firstly, peel the carrots and then grate both the carrots and the apple.
- Next, add the grated carrots and apple to a big saucepan greased with coconut oil and allow to cook for a minute or two.
- Add the cinnamon and nutmeg along with the flax, if using, and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Then, add all the other ingredients – other than the water – and mix until well combined.
- Now, slowly add the water whilst mixing until it reaches your desired constancy; for a thicker porridge, about three cups, and for a thinner one, more like four to five cups.
- Finally, add with toppings of your choice!
- If you have any chopped nuts, I’d highly recommend breaking them out to sprinkle on top of the porridge.
- If you don’t like carrots then you could just make it without or substitute them for blueberries or raspberries; both are yummtastic with porridge.