Vegetable and Tofu Cheese Lasagna
Lots of vegetables, lots of love and lashes of tofu cheese (if you’ve never tried tofu cheese before, be prepared to be amazed).
Ingredients for the Tofu Cheese (based on four-five servings)
- Silken or medium Tofu (depending on how creamy you want the Tofu to be).
- Vegan cheese powder, or nutritional yeast
- Salt and Pepper
- One tablespoon of lemon juice
- A handful or chives well chopped
- Two cloves of garlic mashed or finely chopped
Method 1: Fluffy and Thick Tofu Cheese
- Squish up the tofu with a fork until pretty smooth then add the rest of ingredients mixing well until the cheese is paste like
- Set aside ready to be added to the lovely lasagna
Method 2: Silky Smooth Tofu Cheese
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- As before, set aside ready to be added to your dish.
Lasagna Sauce and Filling
- Two cloves of Garlic
- Italian seasoning (1 Tablespoon)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 and a half cups of chopped cherry tomatoes, or if using tinned 400g
- One white large onion chopped
- Oven roasted sweet peppers (optional but highly recommended)
- Optional – A dash of red wine (again I highly recommended)
- Heat up a pan with a little olive oil and cook the sliced onions until they are translucent, then add the chopped garlic, cooking for a further two minutes.
- Next, add the seasoning, (if using dried – if using fresh add torn or chopped off the heat so it doesn’t just wilt- with this recipe I would recommend dried) salt, pepper and puree with a little water to keep everything moving .
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan as well as some more water (about a cup), and the wine if you’re using- as much as you dare.
- Bring to the boil and then lower to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened, adding water if you feel it has thicken too much
- Whilst the sauce is cooking de-seed and de-stalk some sweet peppers rubbing them in olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper, then add them to the oven on gas mark five to roast up.
- When everything is cooked set aside to cool, layer the lasagna however you like (get creative). I add the roasted peppers to the red sauce and then add some fresh spinach to my tofu cheese, then top with some hard vegan cheese.
- Finally add to the oven for 30-50 minutes (keep checking) at gas mark 6.
You could very easily use the same white sauce for this recipe, but for varieties sake I’m going to use a vegan white sauce mix, this sauce is really easy to use just add some vegan milk (makes the sauce thicker than using water), and a little lemon juice (about a teaspoon) some salt and pepper.
Use the same read sauce, after adding the chopped tomatoes also ass lentils and black beans.
In this Lasagna I usually do use wine and omit the use of sweet peppers and spinach, but if you wanted to add them in you certainly could and make a mega lasagna!
Use which ever cheese sauce you prefer – so in my cause it’s always the tofu one, and the same tomato sauce but instead of adding lentils and black beans add TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) in the its place. Then eat up and enjoy!
Which ever vegan lasagna you chose, go forth and enjoy pasta bliss and remember to serve with board games and vegan wine!