‘I want to feel like I’m in a cinema but I don’t want anyone to kick my chair - style food’
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- Plain tortilla chips*
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large white onion
- 200g of drained kidney beans
- 1 tin of baked beans
- 1 tin of black beans
- ¼ cup of sweetcorn
- 200g of chopped tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ tablespoon of oregano
- Grated vegan cheese
- ½ teaspoon of chilli powder
- Firstly, chop your garlic and onions.
- Next, warm the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onions, cooking until they go translucent and then adding the herbs and spices along with the garlic, cooking down for a minute of two and adding any water to keep things moving if needed.
- Now, add the kidney beans, baked beans, black beans, chopped tomatoes, and sweetcorn and bring to the boil mixing well.
- When the chilli has come to a boil, turn down the heat to medium and allow to cook for 40-50 minutes, mixing from time to time.
- Whilst the bean chilli is cooking, mash your avocado with a fork and add the juice of half a lemon, as well as some salt and pepper and, hey-presto – lazy man’s guac.
- After you’ve finished the guac, put it in the fridge and grate your cheese.
- When the chilli is finished, serve with/on top of the tortilla chips with cheese, guac and salsa.
This isn’t a hot-hot chilli because I like my food like I like my life – mild. Add some chilli if you want a hotter dish!
- If you’re feeling less lazy, you could totally make your own vegan nacho cheese rather than grated cheese; you could even go all out and make your own salsa! Go mental!
- The salt and pepper, as with all my recipes, needs to be added throughout the cooking process and to taste (never be ashamed to shove a teaspoon in your cooking and taste half way through – cook’s perks!)
- * & ** Sainsbury’s basic tortilla chips and Sainsbury’s basic salsa are vegan AF and they are mighty good with my bean chilli, and to think they say being vegan is expensive… pffft.