‘I killed like 5 jackfruits for this; I’m savage.’
- 560g (two tins) of young jackfruit
- 1/3 cup of vegan BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 2 teaspoons of soft dark brown sugar
Makes: 4 people
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 – 20 minutes
Nutritional value per serving:
- Calories, kcal 206.4
- Fat, g 1.4
- Saturates, g 0.4
- Carbs, g 49.6
- Sugars, g 38.8
- Fibre, g 3.6
- Protein, g 3.7
- Sodium, g 0.5
- Firstly, prepare the jackfruit; drain the tins and pat the fruit dry with paper towels, then cut off the core of each jackfruit segment.
- Then, split the jackfruit with two forks, or your hands, until the jackfruit resembles pulled pork.
- Now, rub the jackfruit with the pepper, sugar, oregano, and soy sauce and set aside in a bowl.
- After this, chop the garlic and onions finely.
- Next, cook the onions until soft and then add the garlic and the jack fruit mixture over a medium heat for about 5 – 10 minutes
- Now, add the BBQ sauce and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve on a bun, a wrap, or with rice and enjoy!
- Chop some spring onions and sprinkle through for some extra excitement.
- You could totally use vegan hoisin sauce rather than BBQ for a more eastern feel to this recipe.